Wayne Peters began his professional career in accounting in 1966 and the practice of law in 1968. He practices primarily in Georgia and Tennessee. For the past 22 years, he has been selected for inclusion in “Best Lawyers in America” for Trusts and Estates, Litigation & Controversy – Tax, Litigation – Trusts & Estates, and Tax Law. He was selected Chattanooga Best Lawyers Trust and Estates Lawyer of the Year 2013 and 2015; Chattanooga Best Lawyers Tax Law Lawyer of the Year 2012, 2014 and 2016; has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” 2006-2015; selected as a 2011 Top 100 Tennessee Mid-South Super Lawyer; and enjoys the highest available rating given by his peers, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell. In 2010, he was accepted to the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He is also a Certified Estate Planning Law Specialist, an Accredited Estate Planner and is qualified as a Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator.
His varied practice involves business, estate and tax matters, with a focus on business, wealth transfer, estate planning, mergers and acquisitions, foundations, and business and estate related litigation. Wayne represents many entrepreneurs, start up companies, closely held and family businesses, manufacturers, professional service companies, banks, restaurant chains, automobile dealerships, construction firms and other businesses in day to day legal matters, sales and acquisitions, operations, planning, and employment matters
Wayne is often called upon by owners and officers of businesses to advise them regarding mergers and acquisitions, business strategy and planning, as well as risk minimization and legal and tax strategies.
In the course of his practice, Wayne has successfully handled many substantial business acquisition, estate and trust transactions, as well as business litigation and estate litigation. Wayne has also successfully represented clients in tax and audit matters before the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities. He has negotiated numerous favorable outcomes for clients as a result of his thorough and aggressive representation.
Wayne’s practice also includes sophisticated tax planning and succession planning for individuals and businesses. He develops the strategy for and implements wealth plans resulting in optimum planning for the deferral and minimization of death taxes.
Although Wayne does not engage in a divorce practice, he does consult with and mediate for high net worth families seeking to minimize the adverse personal, economic, tax and business consequences of a marriage breakup.
Wayne’s goal in his practice is to work with clients and their other professional advisors to guide and assist them through difficult situations while negotiating for the optimal results and minimizing adverse consequences, tax exposure and whenever possible avoiding the delays, expense and uncertainty of litigation.
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, B.S. in Accounting, 1966
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D. 1968
- Washington University School of Law, Master of Laws in Taxation, 1969.
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia,
- United States Tax Court
- Certified Estate Planning Law Specialist
- Rule 31 (General Civil) Mediator
- Accredited Estate Planner
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Small Business, Estate and Gift Taxes Committees of Tax Section)
- Fellow, Tennessee Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Chattanooga Bar Foundation
- Lookout Mountain Bar Association
- Member National Association of Dealer Counsel
- Chattanooga Estate Planning Council (President, 1994-1995)
- Chattanooga Tax Practitioners
- National Association of Estate Planners & Councils
Honors and Listings
- Best Lawyers in America for Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Best Lawyers in America for Litigation and Controversy – Tax
- Best Lawyers in America for Tax Law
- Best Lawyers in America for Trusts and Estates
- Super Lawyers 2006-2015
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell